Königsplatz –  King’s Square – is a monumental  square in the Maxvorstadt district of Munich. Built in the style of European Neoclassicism in the 19th century, it displays the Propyläen Gate and, facing each other, the Glyptothek (The royal collection of ancient Greek and Roman sculpture) and the Staatliche Antikensammlungen (State antiquities museum – consisting of Greek, Etruscan and Roman artefacts).

The square was designed as part of the representative boulevard Brienner Straße by Karl von Fischer working for Crown Prince Ludwig of Bavaria and laid out by Leo von Klenze. Fischer modeled the Königsplatz on the Acropolis in Athens. The concept was classical rigor embedded in living green, and so an expression of urban ideas of Ludwig I. who wanted to see cultural life, civic ideals, Catholic Christianity, royal administration and the military all together and embedded in green.

As a beautiful and monumental place, the Königplatz was used during the Third Reich as a square for the Nazi Party’s mass rallies. The Brown House, the national headquarters of the Nazi Party  was located at 45 Brienner Straße, overlooking the square.

Two Honor Temples (Ehrentempel) were erected at the east side of the Königsplatz in neo-Grecian style to echo the architecture of the older buildings; they housedthe remains of the sixteen Nazis killed in the 1923 Beer Hall Putsch, who were venerated by the Nazi Party as martyrs. Both temples were demolished by the US Army in 1947, although their platforms still exist today, albeit in a rather overgrown state.

Two buildings of the Nazi party constructed by Paul Ludwig Troost next to the temples still exist; in the one north of Brienner Strasse, the so-called Führerbau, the Munich Agreement was signed in 1938. Today it is a school for music and theatre called the Hochschule für Musik und Theater München and is closed to the public. (They will really not be happy if you try and get in for a look!)The other one now houses parts of the Ludwig-Max University, including a classical sculpture department, where many casts of the original statues in the Glyptothek may be seen. With individuals or smaller groups we often take a look inside since it is essentially unchanged since WW2.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.